On November 18 2009 at 4:02 am William Alan Bartosch was joyfully welcomed into our family. He weighed in at 7 lbs 9 oz and 20 in long. We were stunned to discover that he was born with Trisomy 21, or Down syndrome. We love him unconditionally from the top of his toe-head to the tips of his toes. We know that this diagnosis will not define him. He is a happy, healthy little boy that just happens to have an extra chromosome.



Follow us on this unexpected and exciting journey as we learn how to live life Will's Way.



Sunday, October 16, 2011

ALL Life is a Precious

I am going to go a little 'political' for a moment.  I am pro-life and have always been.  I believe all life is precious from conception to natural death.  I personally don't believe God makes mistakes, but just that we humans don't always understand his choices for us.  These feelings aside, I found it staggering and heartbreaking that more than 90% of women with a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome choose to terminate the pregnancy.  90%!  I wish I could say that I was part of the 10%, but because of my age and the fact that it would not have made any difference, we did not have prenatal testing, therefore we found out of Will's extra chromosome on birth day.  It truly would not have made a difference for me to know but it would have made the rest of my pregnancy very difficult.  The flip side is that it made Will's birth day less than the joyous event that it should have been.  The truth is that there is no easy way to find out that the child you are carrying is less than perfect in most people's eyes.  I pray for the 90% and I feel sorry for them.  I feel sorry that they never got to know the amazing person that they were carrying just because that baby had an extra chromosome.  I don't blame them though, because I am sure it was a very hard decision for them and that they felt a lot of pressure from their doctors and from society to terminate their 'less than perfect' pregnancy.  That is a lot of unnecessary pressure.  Can you imagine how many more amazing individuals there would be among us with extra chromosomes if there were less pressure to terminate and more education on the diagnosis?  Pray for life.  Pray for the 90%.  Pray for awareness and acceptance.
To learn more go to... http://www.idscforlife.org/

1 comment:

gaga judie said...

your article is beautiful.i am shocked that that many beautiful little people are not given a chance because of a known flaw thank god there are at least 10% who keep there baby no matter what.as u stated all life is precious and a gift luv ma